Drum King

Saturday 30th November:

The young man came up to me. He asked how I knew the person I sat next to; The one and only Tony Allen who, to those that should know, is considered the best living drummer on our planet.

I could only stammer out a feeble reply, that I'm probably his number one living fan on the planet. Though there is much more, the answer is just as good as any.

I was at the venue Richmix in East London as Tony's guest. An event arranged by young Londoners for Tony Allen to do a Q&A., give a demonstration and sign his autobiography titled "Tony Allen An Autobiography of the MASTER DRUMMER OF AFROBEAT."

It was a nice event where many percussionists, rappers, freestylers, singers and artists grabbed with both hands, an opportunity to perform with and for their hero, the doctor of drums, Tony Allen.


Tony Allen's autobiography

As I got my own copy of the book signed and endorsed, The master drummer asked about the message I want inscribed by him. I racked my brain cells about what the inscription should be that will go with the signature, in the end, I decided to leave out an acknowledgement from Tony. I actually preferred him to leaving that out. You see, an inscription would have required another chapter to be added on to his book which I'm sure he'd be reluctant to do anyway.

I'm memorialising linking up once again with my pal, celebrating a brother and hoping I have many more great evenings like last Saturday night.

Book signing

Tony, Silvie (his wife), Rikki Stein and I eventually ended up at New Empowerment Church just off Mare Street, East London where Afro-beat was simmering. Senior Chef Dele Sosimi already had the house in the palm of his hands. The place was full and everyone was having a ball.

The band, the crowd and the staff really got hyped up when Tony Allen joined the band to add a few more ingredients to the mix. Everyone was dancing and having fun. A great crowd, people who know where to find the grooviest gigs in town were here in this house.

Backstage at Richmix

This event happened just as I was wrapping up my posts on the Afro-beat series at www.Bodederek.com. Thinking I had concluded the last post (for now) and return to other posts like short story excerpts or something, I get an invite from the Afro-beat master. This genre is like that, it can somehow just develop a life of it's own.

I will some day, post a description of the groovy night at NEC with Dele Sosimi's Afrobeat Orchestra and the events they've got going on. For now though, it's peace out!

'Bodederek






Comments

Popular Posts