Ebo Taylor Concert



At Union Chapel..








It was Saturday the 26th of September at Union Chapel, Islington. 

The event was the 13th London African Music Festival and Ebo Taylor's band had the audience practically rocking and dancing in front of their seats and the aisle. 

Nobody sat down throughout the ninety minute gig. 

At the very end, they screamed and whistled for more. This audience wasn't taking no for an answer and the band came back on stage for an encore.

Before the start of the show, I somehow managed to talk my way backstage (I couldn't sneak in, I'm too distinct a fellow for that sort of thing) and ran into the great man himself.

It was quite a pleasant surprise that the soft spoken, multi-talented musician, guitarist, composer and arranger remembered me from back in the day. 
Ebo Taylor and I before the show


Ebo Taylor and his band showed why they are at the fore front of the afro-beat genre. 

From what I gathered later from the band members, their shows are always like this. 

They'd been touring europe for a while now, and were quite appreciative of the audiences in every city and stop on their tour. "Germany," said the drummer, "was a blast." The Union Chapel according to them, "was memorable and unforgettable as well."

The band at work

The audience at Union Chapel was from different backgrounds, age and nationalities. Everybody it seemed, had left their worries at home, enjoying the vibes that was musically satisfying, energetic and very entertaining.


At the very end, it was much easier to stroll backstage with the band, just before the audience asked for their encore. I didn't need to blag my way this time because security realised I was a known face to band members and the star. Nobody objected to my presence, in fact I was treated like I belonged.

The ticket price was worth every penny spent.

After the show

In Ghana, Ebo Taylor is a national treasure. An ambassador not only for the afro-beat genre but also as a highlife king who has been on the performing circuit for decades.

If per chance Ebo Taylor's band visits your city, town or village. Go. You'll be glad you did!

Watch the video above and you'll see some dancing in there too. The man's music is made for dancing. That's what it's all about.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts