Music News

African Composers Series 2:


Lucky Ranku and his band entertained and impressed last thursday evening at Vortex Jazz Club.

Part of the second series this year featuring African composers. Those of us at this event were entertained with beautiful songs, great melodies that brought back memories. It was a reminder that South African Township Jazz is still alive and kicking.

The veteran guitarist and composer played to a packed audience of music lovers. Every seat was taken but that was okay, the rest of us were in the open area at the back, vibing and dancing to the music.


This event transported me back to the Apartheid era of the 1970s and 80s when as exiles, Lucky Ranku and his friends lived and gigged in London, sometimes touring and in the process made a name for themselves on the circuit.

"Most of the guys I played with have passed on, that's why I have these young people in my band. I can at least pass the baton to them so the music can keep evolving." He said.

A great event. I'm looking forward to Series 3. 

Lucky and Sax man Ray Carless doing their thing

I take my hat off to the promoters Joyful Noise who have consistently presented African music formats. Thursday night was truly a Joyful occasion. 





Comments

Popular Posts